Thursday, May 6, 2010

We Interrupt This Blog.....

....To Give You a Gardening Update....

(Ed Note: Taking a rest the other day in my garden, I glanced around and couldn't help laugh out loud and my Gardening Getup. There was a day, when gardening clothing consisted of barely a cover up. Short, shorts, halter tops and bare feet were my uniform as I worked my long ago 70's garden.
And it's come to this. Ankle socks with wintry blogs to protect the feet. Lightweight old Capris stained and raggedy. Old shirt that grabbed from the closet, totally unaware of which band that my son's used to follow, I 'm unwittingly promoting.....
And I don't care because the Garden is Grand.
Stormy, rainy nights and crystal days, nice breezes have made for wonderful gardening days and I have to ask myself, 'What sewing room?'...Haven't been there for days and days....the Elements calling me...
However:
Here I am resting in the shade of my wisteria heavy pergola, contemplating just how many more Creeping Charlie plants that I have to remove from my flower garden. Honestly, the proliferation of this purple flowered plant is overwhelming! Could it be that my Gardening Passion pooped out long about September and things got a bit.....'shabby'? Could it be that my gardening definition has been defined to "Weeding' with a capital W. Could it be that perhaps I should have listened to my dad when he kept telling me, regarding my desire to keep enlarging my flower beds, 'Don't forget Deb, to keep a good green space!'...Dang. Hated it when he was right. Ah well. If my back holds out and the bugs/spiders/insects that I apparently am allergic to, (large welts/rash) keep away, perhaps my garden will be in shape for this coming hostess gig with the Gardening Exchange on Monday....What??!!! EEK!!!!!! Can we say 'Intimidated'!!! I promised, promised Gardening Gail that I would host this summer. I jumped in an volunteered early, early so that my oath would not be forgotten or put aside, waiting for perfection.

You see, my garden in my backdrop, not my focus. True gardeners go for an abundance of type and species and appropriateness of climate and height and spacing. And mulch.
My way is very, very scientific:
What I Like.
What is free.
What is colorful.
What lives.
That's it.
This week, on my Weeding Wonderfulness, I even allowed a very tall weed that had the distinction of some very sweet little yellow flowers upon its long stalk. Just couldn't pluck it out, it lookin so cute an all. I just told it to behave and to not procreate any more, be still and it can stay. Well, maybe it might have to leave the night of the Gardening Exchange; I'll see if it's still cute then. And if I'm prepared for snickers and pointing for keeping a tall weed in the midst of my proliferation of echinacea, black eyed susan AND Creeping Charlie.....

But till then, I let the Sunny Weed stay, keep my funny gardening clogs with my old, old Capris and ankle socks, nearby, stop often to stretch, keep hydrated, swat Gardening Insect Enemies, and move on to my One Woman Eradication of Creeping Charlie Crusade.......
Life is good...


2 comments:

  1. I think that your thrown together gardening look is sexy. :0) carefree, fun, and sexy! the ankle socks just pull it all together

    ReplyDelete
  2. and some of my fondest memories have taken place in that garden of yours....

    ReplyDelete

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites