(Editor's Note: Due to Blogger's annoying new layout, interesting photos that were to accompany this blog would not upload even though I tried a multitude of times......grrrrrrrr. Hopefully, The Blogging gods shall permit such a thing tomorrow. Sorry for your non visual post. grrrrrrr again....)
How would you make a shining sun?
Has to be cheap, abundant and sizable.
Doesn't felt always fit the bill?
I am in the middle (beginning?) of making table decorations for the annual Youth for Christ Banquet next Friday.
I shoot for decorations because I really am not comfortable making calls or soliciting donation requests. Just give me my felt, some poster board and foam core board and I will work away. Just keep me away from the phones. Bound to be a problem with that.
This year, there will be a Silent Auction prior to the dinner. This Year, mama's collection shall donate a bag to be auctioned off. First time I've done this. I have this concern that if the starting bid is 3.00, the end bid could be 3.25...Scary, huh? Just hope it helps the ministry....
Hubby, the engineer and I put our very complimentary heads together and walked around Hobby Lobby, weighing our options. Thirty tables is no small feat. We wanted to be frugal, creative, large (10 foot banquet tables) and get our message across as well. And we were shopping after the aforementioned 'procedure' so I was a bit fuzzy as well from anesthesia. I must say that we got a bit silly in the pursuit. We soon came to realize that all our grand plans were for naught when the totals were coming close to 300.00+. Not very non profit friendly.
Then we landed in the fabric department.
Why did I not go there first, O Fabric Lady that I am? Anesthesia after affects? Let's blame that.
I started the plan: An oval base. Extended Cone Rays. A table runner of sorts to set it off and the words: Who Will Connect Them to the Son? Photos of some of the 100+ plus teen age attendees attached to the base of the sun at each table....
First prototype failed miserably and Hubby had to intervene. He and my well used friend, Mr. Seam Ripper.
Hubby drafted a template and specific directions regarding how he would build it.
I heard but I did not listen.
A very good show on PBS on how a group of Arabs aided the Jews in Northern Africa during WWII, was vying for my attention.
So the next morning, I was on my flibbertigibbet own again, trying to pull his instructions from the base of my brain, desperately seeking his well thought out plans.
Despite my own best attempts, I could not remember but set off on my own, waiting to hear from the Engineer just how wrong they turned out.
But it did not happen! Hubby approved of how it turned out so now I have only 29 more suns, including 180 rays, plus a large foam core sun for the front of the stage, to complete. In a week.
So off I go to cut more sun bases, more D-shaped side pieces to stuff with tissue and fiberfill and felt scraps (cannot throw anything away!) and search for a suitable table runner and to primp the prototype for the Banquet Committee meeting tomorrow.....!
Let us hope the Son/sun shines next Friday night!
making holiday gifts - We are madly making holiday gifts around here, it's so fun to paint, glue, assemble, and pack. These unpainted wooden bowls were turned into little salt ce...
3 hours ago