Monday, April 26, 2010

The 'Tween Season


Ssshhhhhhh!

Do you hear that?

It's the Quiet of the Tween Season. The quiet that comes from the next season not completely committed to appearing and the last vestige of the previous season begging to stay on.

It's the craziness of picking a huge collection of Lily of the Valley in the cold rain, gathering my now blooming Korean Lilac, bringing them into a cool house (we turned the heat off last week) and awaiting their perfume to permeate the rooms they're placed in.

And now, starting a fire in the not-yet-cleaned out fireplace. (Last year's last fire was in May)

Soon the wood smoke will mingle with the freshness of my favorite flowers and I am at peace.

The absurdness of this kind of day, makes it seem like a vacation to me; a vacation in a familiar but oddly askew land. Eager to understand it, but more eager to take advantage of the overlap.

The warmth of a hearth fire with the ambrosia scent of fresh flowers, newly picked.

Knowing the porch is ready, but the season is not. Knowing the garden is producing blossoms as well as an abundant of weeds but as for today, I am excused from attending the gardens burgeoning needs by the cold and the wet plants.

So what to do?

Another pleasure.

Sewing a re purposing task for the 2G's mama. A well loved but outdated skirt becoming a gifted apron. Another overlap. Another glee.

Further along in the day, when I am tired from all this gleeful overlap, I shall retire to my fireplace with my newest book, ' Bonhoeffer: Pastor, Martyr, Prophet, Spy by Eric Metaxas. Hot off the press.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer; a kindred spirit of mine....An overlapper of sorts. See?

After the misty rain calms down a bit, I'll take the two beloved doggies for a walk, enjoying the damp cold, knowing that my Warm Fire of the Overlap awaits me....


The Tween Season; embrace it.....


No comments:

Post a Comment

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites