Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Weighty Issues

I have many reasons and excuses why I gained 30 pounds ten years ago.
Wanna hear them?


  1. Caregiving my dad took me from a three level home to a three room bungalow.
  2. Dad was suffering from cancer related malnutrition and it was my job to fatten his 89 pound body to a more agreeable....100 pounds.
  3. Cooking with fat and calories was no problem for me in my earlier skinny self.  One day, as I was eating his breakfast of sausage links, home fries and scrambled eggs, it dawned on me that perhaps I should not be eating with him.
  4. My wardrobe agreed.
  5. Depression that can creep up on you during caregiving can alter cortisol.  Dramatically.
  6. Lack of exercise and medication due to # 5.
  7. Becoming a bit south of 45.
  8. Blah blah blah.
My Dad has been gone for eight years now.  What took me so long to see that perhaps I am not in the best of shape, weight wise?

I like food.
I like to cook.
I like big family meals.

What I don't like is not knowing how to correct my seemingly healthy diet by being aware of the nutritional values and needs of each meal of the day.  I often say that if someone just told me what to eat to maintain a healthy weight, I would do it in a heartbeat.  Otherwise, I drift to cravings which ofttimes directed me to sadly inadequate nutrition.

That said, I would like to say, loudly: TA DA!!!!
Meet my new friend!
caloriecount.about.com

Well, well, well.
The most helpful diet helper that I have found.
No point counting.
No carb counting.
Everything, and I mean everything is done for you.
Food Log, Analysis, suggestion to complete your nutritional day in a wondrous way.

What have I learned:
  1. At my 58 years and smallish frame, I only need 1200 calories per day!!!  Not per meal, but per day!!  Amazing!!  Who knew??
  2. A starlight mint has 60 calories.
  3. Nuts, while being a great source of vitamins and minerals, is so full of fat that I can tip my allotment just by adding 1oz. to my morning cereal.
  4. That I need only 6oz of OJ in the morning, not 12 oz.  Can really wonky your sugar allotment.
  5. That oatmeal (steel cut or old fashioned rolled) and blueberries can make a nice supper.
  6. That spinach has so much lovely Vitamin A that it pleases my Vitamin A needs with one serving.
  7. That this info is as close as your iPhone or android.
  8. That after breakfast and lunch, I know exactly what I can eat for supper based on my 'analysis' and nutritional data.  Yesterday, I knew it was an oatmeal/blueberry/banana supper.  Tonight it's salad and spinach/tomato kinda night.
  9. That I can eat Steak and Shake for lunch and not be too bad off, depending on the portions and what I need to eat for the other meal.
  10. That my computer and the Internet continue to still awe me.
Stay Tuned as this weight saga continues. Feel free to compliment me if I start showing signs of success.  And thank you for these past year not saying anything about my obvious weight gain.  Well, okay two people were brave enough to say, 'Wow, Deb!  Have you gained weight!!!'  But they disappeared shortly after that.......

To good health and honest food logs!!

3 comments:

  1. Oh boy, can I relate to this post! I have put on a 'few' pounds in the past few years. I think it has something to do with being in my 50's and my continuing love of cooking and eating what I cook...ugh. Looking forward to you sharing your success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. mama, yous bees crazees. you look amazing and wonderful and completely healthy. you have lost i think a healthy amount of that initial gain. but, i will celebrate and be proud of whatever more you aspire to lose! GO YOU MAMA!! and maybe i will join you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deb, It's your love and kindness that others care about and notice. Doesn't matter one way or the other to me if there's more or less of your outside. :) But, for health reasons, I too have just been praying (and trying, to some extent!), to eat only what I need and what's healthy. So, maybe we can pray for God's grace together to stick to it! :)
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites