Sunday, November 14, 2010

Sunday Squash Soup!

I love squash.  I love the color, the designs, the smell. Everything about it.  I believe a lot of it stems from the babyhood of Eldest/Admin.  The sweet, little  Picky Eater rejected all things green and only would open her wee mouth to orange veggies.  Carrots and Squash.  And being a dutiful young mama, I would cook and press and puree the vegetables and to this day, the aroma of cooked squash zooms me to the toothless grin of my happy little baby girl, getting her way and enjoying her squash.  She still loves it even though years ago, her pediatrician informed me that she had developed Carotene Overload from all her orange indulgences.  The cute little blond baby looked like she had a really nice tan, thanks to her squash love.  Too Funny.
 So as I meander through every available pumpkin patch scouting out the most unusual squashies, my mind wanders to develop an assorted use of the abundant gourd at this time of year.
 This year, I came up with a most pleasing soup, hereby dubbed Sunday Squash Soup.  It's perfect for making Saturday night while you're making supper, for a quick warm up when you get home from church on Sunday afternoon.  Make plenty (you do see how many I purchased at the Great American Pumpkin Patch in Arcola Illinois, right?  Yes, that is my wagon below, filled with some beauties!) and invite some friends!

Sunday Squash Soup!

2 baked squash (I used a butternut and an acorn)
Cut them in half and bake in a shallow dish with a modicum of water.  Cover with foil and bake at 400 degrees for 1.5 hours.

Saute an onion, 2 cloves garlic and peel and chop several carrots, and several Yukon gold potatoes, till tender and lightly brown.

In a large bowl, microwave 4 cups of water with 4 chicken bouillon cubes.  Add this to the sauteed veggies. Peel the baked squash and add to this mixture.
Stir well and add 2 tsp parsley, 1 tsp cumin, 1 tsp ground pepper, 2 tsp raw sugar.

Cook till veggies are very soft then softly mash the squash.

Some crusty bread, a green salad and you are set!
Enjoy the Season of the Squash

1 comment:

  1. is this the one you made up while i was there???
    deeeeeelicious!
    gotta make it for hubby, he loved it too!
    of course he did. Its soup. :)

    ReplyDelete

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites