Monday, February 28, 2011

Vat iz zees?

Yes!  An actual completed piece of clothing for myself!
This does not happen frequently, indeed, the material and pattern were purchased way over a year ago for last year's Easter!  But then Life Happened and the cut out fabric got pushed to the very bottom of my To Do list. 


Then, lo and behold, I had a sewing break.  In between finishing up two quilts and awaiting lining fabric for a diaper bag, I found myself on 'down time'.  I rechecked my Project Board just to make sure I wasn't forgetting something but there it was: the faded notation 'Easter Dress' on the very bottom of the chalk board. I fished the crumpled pile of knit and pattern tissue out of the stash and made sure it would still fit (winter has played havoc on my walking regimen), switched my needle for a ball point medium for this stretchy jersey knit, filled up my bobbin and set to it. 


Buying clothes at my age, size and attitude is a trying thing.  My wee wittle brain still is thinking thirty something in taste, twenty something in style and nigh on sixty something in reality.  This all makes for a highly complicated fashion decision.  'Older' clothes are never appealing to me. Most things I LOVE are terribly expensive. Younger things look ridiculous and there are things that I will not, not, not wear:  



  • Puffy sleeves
  • Short sleeves
  • Most skirts
  • Too long of tops (5'3" boo)
  • Too short of tops
  • Summer colors (strictly autumnal)
  • Most capris
  • Most Dresses
  • Most solid colored tops
  • Tee shirts with short sleeves
  • Low cut tops
See the problem?  And Hubby wonders why I usually roam around in black pants and tops?  The harbinger of Fashion Woes...
After researching for a L-O-N-G time last year to find a flattering frock for church last Easter, I came up with this nifty little Simplicity pattern with my name written all over it.  Knit; forgiving.  Wrap; hiding things.  Three quarter length sleeve; hides all the unfavorable parts of the arms, leaving my teeny wrists exposed.  Yep.  This was the right one.  Then fabric.  Hubby refused to let me buy black again, but compromised with me when I found this fun, colorful circley design.  Again, the black forgives, the design hides.  Perfect.

Now here it is, a year later, completed Way Early for this year's late Easter date.  For once, I am ahead of my schedule!  And mighty pleased with it I am.  The pattern was a bit cryptic for Simplicity, but then that is why they make seam rippers.

I feel fortunate that I can sew for myself given the stylized predicament that I find myself in, but there again is the time to do it when I'd much rather be making baby things....
So if you see me in my garden wearing my Easter Dress this summer, you shall know that no more free time came to sew more clothes for my poor sad fashion complicated self....

What are your fashion pet peeves?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites