Saturday, March 26, 2011

Simple Sewing Saturdays: Volume 15: Scalloped Edging!

There comes a time in every one's lives when you just need a little whimsy, embellishment, silliness in your design needs.  Maybe you've gone the straight an narrow path with your fabric for long enough.  You like the material but you just need a bit of a difference to jazz things up.

Then you need to know how to scallop edges, my friend.
First, you need to find the right circumference of a bowl to use as your template.  Fortunate for me, my change bowl in my bathroom was the right size and, Ta Da, right color to make the most perfect scallop template ever.  Just seeing the colors mesh, made me more creative.  But I digress.....
Seriously, you could use a can, a lid, a saucer etc...to make your perfect scallop size.  Test it on paper to see if it will work for you and your curtain and window size.  Larger windows could handle a larger scallop and be really fun too.
But I was covering my fireplace windows so I went diminutive.
I traced the curve of the bowl onto the material, using about half the circumference, then cutting the scallop....I included in the tracing and cutting, the lining....
Then sew, oh so carefully, around the curves, stopping at the peak, lifting your needle and turning in the other direction.  It is how you handle these curve peaks that will determine your crisp outcome.
Remember this:  Clip inward curves: Notch outward curves. Trim the seams.
Turn outside in.  Use a handy turner, crochet hook or knitting needle to do this efficiently.  Get into the curves cleanly, using your tool to pop out the fabric crisply...
Ironing is very important to this process.  Once things are cleanly out, press it well..
For my project, a small valance, I needed to finish the top of the piece.  I did this by turning under 1/4" to the wrong side, pressing the two together, then stitching close to the edge..
Topstitching all around, gives the curtain a nice crisp look...
For a header for the rod, I used very wide bias tape, stitched close to both sides, turning under slightly, the tape ends...
I used a spring tension rod and inserted it through the bias tape header...
And there you go..
A whimsical, scallopy valance to make you smile when you see it....
Consider it for your next home decor project....

2 comments:

  1. peerrrrrfeeeeecccttt! (in a singy song tune :) )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! I will try this indeed... Now I just a sewing machine :) I got my kitchen and coffee tables today for a whopping $12, so next will be a sewing machine... oh the joys of yard saleing!!!

    ReplyDelete

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites