Thursday, August 12, 2010

Summer Reading

Summer Reading is different from Winter Reading.
There is a lighter, quicker approach from the 'sit for hours next to the fire with a huge novel' type of read in the winter.

I found these two books fitting the bill for my Lighter Summer Reading Fare.

A Thousand Years Over a Hot Stove by Laura Schenone came to me via Pretend Daughter Kris during the Retreat.  She had brought it with her to finish up and nosy me, always interested in a new book, picked it up and found it fascinating. My local library system did not have it, but thanks to a wondrous loaning system, I received a copy from Indianapolis in no time.  The book is awash in stories of women and how and why they do what they do in the kitchen from time immemorial.  I can pick it up, read a section, look at historic photos, then put it down.  Then another section in another part of the book.  Not even in order.  A perfect summer ADHD read.  Thank you, PDK, for reading it and bringing it to my attention!

The second one, I found out about on the radio.  Our local Moody Radio Station (http://moodyministries.net )carries Nancy Leigh DeMoss (http://reviveourhearts.com) in the morning, usually when I 'm sewing.  I found the interview riveting and very relatable to my place now in life.  I'll read through it once, then go through and go over all the reflection and action sections in each chapter with Crazy Dee.  Not actually a technical Bible Study; merely a direction, advisory book with thought provoking questions determined to keep you from wasting your second half pining away for what was.  Good read.

Find a porch with air conditioning and spend some time in a book today.

2 comments:

  1. I recieved my present in the mail yesterday!!! I love that book and have checked it out from the library on several occasions and am so excited to finally have my own copy!! The inscription is priceless--you know me well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay!!! I knew it was you!! I love the illustrations! Enjoy, Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites