Thursday, July 23, 2009

Contentment




My mother is law taught me how to sew in 1971, after I had lied to get a job in a fabric store. Who knew that in a mix of 100+ applicants and out of the three they selected, I would have been one of them? My dear MIL, busy with ten children, took time out of her busy week to teach her soon to be lying daughter in law, to at least be able to fake it, on my new job....



Therein began my love affair with fabric and all things sewn.....



The peace I feel when completing a project, the rush I get when finding just the right fabric, the victory that comes when overcoming a technical glitch, all these things add up to Sewing Nirvana...!



Yesterday was the perfect example...



Cool, rainy July...Too wet to be in the garden; the perfect excuse for an afternoon in my sewing room...Add a creme brulee candle, a large glass of tea, a great book on CD, Dixie, by faithful canine companion on her quilt by me, vintage buttons to add on to the wonderful bag I'm creating for Emily, and I couldn't be happier....Well,ok, if Vivien was sitting near me to absorb all of Grammy's instruction, THAT would be Sewing Nirvana!!!!



Emily's bag got completed, a new storage idea for the sewing room came to me, a summer bankie for a baby that will probably be born today and I was one content grammy....



There is something engaging in placing all the complexities of a sewing project and what it does to your brain, that straightens out your mind, clears the mechanism for better thinking all the way around....



Should we start a sewing circle for all our world leaders?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites