Monday, September 13, 2010

Homemade French Bread....Yum....

The Bounty of the Garden.....
Eldest/Admin called me this past week with news of an overflowing of tomatoes in her first attempt at gardening.  She was happily making Spaghetti Sauce and was excited about the outcome.  I love the freshness of homemade sauce and could almost smell it through the phone.  The sauteing garlic and onions and the mixture of fresh herbs, is perfume to a home made lovin' foodie. EA was raised on the sauce recipe that I acquired in 1977.  So she was happy, I was happy and gardening proved to be a good experience for all of us.
While EA was extolling the benefits of homemade sauce, I reminded her of the recipe for Homemade French Bread that is excellent for sopping up all the leftover sauce that your pasta missed.  A highly porous, soft on the inside, crusty on the outside, bread  The best.
This elderly recipe came out of this book wayyyy back in 1974.  I worked in this amazing shop at the time.  It featured gourmet items, Orrefors and Kosta Boda crystal, Marrimekko fabric, Copco cookware, Arabia and Royal Copenhagen dinnerware and Italia crystal.  A wonderful place for a newly married twenty one year old to work.  I was surrounded by 50 something ladies with good taste and plenty to teach me.  I earned practically nothing but furnished my house with wonderful, too expensive retail, but do-able with my discount, items that I still cherish today.  It was a fun time and this recipe is just a sample of the goodness that came out of the pre-Pier One shop called Premiere Plus located in Springfield, Illinois.

So if your garden has blessed you abundantly, if you love a good sauce, you need this recipe to go along with all your gardeny goodness.:

Enjoy!

One Bowl, No-Knead French Bread  Breadcraft 

Dissolve 1 tbs yeast in 1 cup lukewarm water. Add this to 4 cups unbleached flour sifted with 1 tbs sugar and 2 tsps salt. Add just enough of a second cup of lukewarm water to stir up a soft, sticky dough.

Let rise in a warm place until double in bulk, about an hour and a half.  When dough is high, punch it down vigorously and divide into 2 loaves.

Pop into very well buttered Pyrex casseroles, about 3 inches deep and 6 inches in diameter.  Let rise again until double in size.  Place in a cold oven and set heat 350 degree and bake an hour.

Yield: 2 loaves

2 comments:

  1. BAH! Why didn't I have this recipe two days ago when I made rigatoni with tomatoes from our garden!
    oh dang, I will have to make it again this week...shucks.. :)

    p.s. is this recipe you used to make with potato soup? you know, "this is a piece of breeeead" bread?? haha.
    if not, I for reals need that bread recipe. I still remember it being perfect on a cold winter night with soup or stew....Yuuuuummmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That would be it! The great sopping bread of all time!!!

    ReplyDelete

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites