Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Yum!


Crazy Dee's inability to eat anything has, like many crisis/opportunities, afforded me some interesting options.
For one thing, looking for alternatives to standard fare, looking at recipes with an eye to adjustment to her heart healthy/diabetic lifestyle, I've had to make some serious review of my own choices.
Shopping for food has now become a lesson in the quality of fuel that I choose to place in my temporary shell of a container/body.
And if I promote the superior food for my ailing/healing friend, shouldn't I be making those choices for my family and myself? For optimum performance and longevity, I believe I already knew the answer.
Not that my diet has been abysmal to begin with, but it certainly could be kicked up a notch.
Some simple things that I have done in the past year to optimize my lifestyle/diet:
1. Walking more. Taking stairs. Parking Far Away in parking lots. Going up and down my stairs frequently.
2. Adding walnuts, pecans and almonds to my generic raisin bran in the morning. And blueberries, dried or fresh.
3. Eating an apple before lunch or supper.
4. Baking frozen fries instead of buying fries at fast food.
5. Splitting entrees with Hubby.
6. Developing a taste for 70% cacao chocolate, 1 oz is all that is needed. Sometimes....
Simple, obvious things that have helped. And finding out that the better I eat, the less I want the addictive high salt items that I've always craved, i.e. fries, chips, crackers...
In perusing Crazy Dee's new gifted get well cookbooks, I found this dandy Pork Chop recipe. Made it for supper and Hubby proclaimed it his favorite pork chop recipe...!
The book is Diabetes Fit Food by Ellen Haas
Asian Grilled Pork Chops
2 1/2 tbs olive oil
2 tsp soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger,minced
2 tsp Dijon mustard
salt to taste
freshly ground black pepper
4 center cut pork loin chops, about 1/2 in. thick
1. Mix the oil, soy sauce, ginger, garlic, mustard, salt and pepper together and brush on the pork chops. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
2. Preheat the grill to med high.
3. Grill the chops for 5-8 minutes on each side, depending on the thickness. Let the chops rest on a plate for 1-2 minutes before serving.
Would be good with brown rice, steamed veggies and a salad, right?
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites