Monday, November 30, 2009

Christmas Project!

Don't you think Vivien needs a Christmas Stocking?
One that can follow her through the years?
One that reminds her of her first encounter with design through her curtains, quilt, diaper bag, burp cloths and all the other little projects that those scraps came up with?

So we grab our scissors and eke out the tiny bits of Amy Butler et al, that remains of the First Year Projects.
Squares, approximately 3 1/2 inches, are cut.

Ten squares are made and placed into a configuration like this:

A handy little fabric marker was used to draw a stocking shape from the squarish one made with the little squares...
Fortunately, since the time I was young, I have always cut out, freehand, letters from construction paper. I guess I wasn't patient enough for stencils. Didn't even use a pencil. Just grabbed my scissors and had at it.
Not saying it is perfect, or even good; it's just how I do it.....

To apply the letters, I used Stitch Witchery first then used a simple blanket stitch for embellishment..( I love Stitch Witchery!)

Got into my stash to fill in when I ran out of Amy...
I pressed on some fusible fleece to the wrong side of each sockie..
(Here, you could place a backing and quilt the squares for an added touch..

I made a lining out of gingham, extra long at the cuff so that I could fold it out.
I placed the lining into the stocking, wrong sides together.
Folding the cuff down and adding a contrasting color, a real Christmas Stocking forms..
Cut a smallish piece, about 3 1/2 inches by 1 1/2 inches; sew right sides together, leaving ends open
Turn and place on heel seam at the top on the cuff.
Sew the hanger onto the cuff.
And here it is...
Ready to head off to the fireplace of a little girl in Mason Ohio!!!
(you hear me, Santa??)

2 comments:

  1. Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love, Love.... ... ... I was just thinking today that I might try to make Jon and I stocking to match Vivien's... now I have the directions! Yay!!!!!

    Btw... Vivien's reaction to out little tree was priceless... love her little "Ooooo" sound... crack me up!

    LYSMICETY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, I love it!!!
    And I haven't started on Landon and I's stockings yet. But now I have step by step directions! YAY!!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Verse Of The Day 2

Powered By Blogger

My Favorites